Seah Im Bunker Hike

 


Ever since I started hiking with a group, am now beginning to like this recreation activity. Initially just like any newbie, it was rather taxing, as the rest were seasoned hikers. Hikes of thirty to fifty kilometres were the norm. Some of the aunties who are in the sixties and early seventies would put many younger men to shame. The pace they set it's as if we were in the olympics. Often times my water bottle would be emptied even before completing half the journey. My thirsting left me hallucinating about mirage of water like I was in the desert. 

However, the experiences learnt were priceless. They introduced me to many different routes and places which I never knew existed. Learnt about the types of shoes, clothes, hiking poles and accessories that are suitable for hiking,.

But I have now downgraded to hiking with a slower group of oldies who were certainly no stallions. The slower pace allows me to do some photography. Another one of my hobbies.

So here we were on 9th September 2021, meeting at Seah Im food centre at Telok Blangah for breakfast. Thereafter, we proceeded to the carpark at the North, besides the food centre.

 It's quite a big carpark and you wont missed it. Walking about 40 metres we came to the huge heritage Kapok tree that can grow to a height of 40m. This one has a girth of 6m. There is a short write-out about this type of tree besides it, if you are interested.

There is a small gap it the green fencing behind it. Squeezing past the gap, a few metres away is the Seah Im Bunker which I read so much about. I had to bend myself to get in as the ceiling was quite low. Inside was dark and damp. Bringing along a touch-light is a good idea. Did not dally in the chamber as the air was quite stale and there was nothing much to see. The excitement begins outside...story continues.. 


Comments

  1. Thank you Bitspiece, nice to hear from you. Don't know why my reply was not reflected here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment