Fun trip to the Southern Islands 2

With time at hand before the ferry leaves, went round to take photos of the early morning sunrise.
Spotted this fat cat chilling out and watching the passengers walking to and fro. At first, it did not "hiew" me, as I coaxed it to look in my direction. After some kind words, it reluctantly faced my camera. There was a big group of dog lovers with their beloved pets, who were going to the Southern Islands too. The breeds were mainly Golden Retrievers with others like Huskies and a Beagle. It was a good idea for them to socialize and enjoy the large open spaces at the Southern Islands. Bidding the cat goodbye, I re-joined my friends who were gradually arriving to board the ferry.
"Fatty" here was probably vary of me as the odor of so many dogs in the vicinity puts it instinctively on alert. From the slightly dilated pupils I could tell it was not totally relaxed. Cats when they are at ease, had pupils with tiny slits. It indicated they are calm, such as in the presence of their owners. Spotted a kiosk which sold coffee and Nasi Lemak, I left "Fatty" alone to enjoy the morning :) 

Comments

  1. Oh my, such an adorable fat cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed a handsome cat.
    I came across our National Library collection of photos by the Late Mr Lee Kip Lin. He was an architect, professor and author, he donated to the National Library 19,000 rich and valuable items comprising rare photographs, monographs, maps, photo slides and negatives of early to modern Singapore.

    There was a particularly interesting photo that depicts a rough location of "Bird Street" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the picture available on line or must go to National Library reference section to view?

      Delete
  3. Follow this link:

    https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/pictures/Details/9949f716-c1e8-4064-a9b4-a95e12fd8e66

    The photo does not show "Bird Street" directly. Unfortunately, Mr Lee did not take any photos towards Rochore Road on the right of this photo which was where Bird Street was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does show the small market stall where I mentioned they used to butcher pork, to the left of the lady in white. The fifth unit on the right of the road is the Chung Khiau bank I mentioned.
    On the right of this photo towards Rochore was Bird Street my brother says was "Cheok Chai Kai". There was a bird shop here in the past, probably how it got it's name, also some shops selling coffins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok thanks very much! Will check out the link you gave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are many old photos in Mr Lee's collection, some I thought I never set eyes on again. Like the old Firestone Factory at Kallang, Java Road, Minto Road, Lai Choon Yuen at Trengganu Street etc..enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, definitely enjoyable. Great that this architect captured the old sights before massive development.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment